Righto! I owe you a recipe for one bacon and egg pie. It's quick and easy, and oh, so tasty. Probably most important to note is that there are innumerable variations on this pie and the recipe below is simply my preferred version.
Bacon and Egg Pie (perfect for breastfeeding mums)
- puff pastry (enough for top and bottom)
- eggs (I used 5 in a pie sized pan, but you may need more depending on the dish you use)
- 4-5 slices of bacon (or as much as you like), cooked and roughly chopped
- some carrots, washed and diced
- peas (fresh or frozen)
- favorite chutney
- salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees (~350 F). Roll out the puff pastry (not too thin or it might not puff up) and lay in the bottom of your pie tin, making sure you have enough to come up the sides.
2. Spread some chutney across the bottom of the pastry, throw down half your cooked bacon, half your chopped carrots and some peas. Crack your eggs into the pie, spacing them out to ensure you have even coverage. You can either leave the yolks whole or break them. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over your remaining bacon and vege. I also like to dollop on a bit more chutney.
3. Roll out another piece of puff pastry and lay it over the top, crimping up the sides to get it sealed up. Make a couple of cuts in the top and brush the top with a bit of egg to get some nice colour. Then pop it into the oven and cook until golden (check after 20 minutes).
This pie is best eaten cold while out on a picnic in your favorite park or on the beach.